Happy Labor Day!
To all the parents (us included) who celebrated this fabulous 3-day weekend with parties, I commiserate. No longer is a party just a party. Now a party is pretty much glorified babysitting. The party is now for the kid … because the parent spends most of the time:
- Making sure the child (or children) isn’t wrecking the host’s house
- Following around the child to catch crumbs and drips
- Making sure the child doesn’t touch all the food set out, or sneeze on it, or flip a platter off the table
- Changing diapers as necessary
- Taking potty training child to the bathroom
- Making sure the child is playing nicely with the other children present
- Trying to get the child to eat at least something
- Making sure the child isn’t just eating cookies all party long …
One day, maybe, hopefully, we adults can go back to having a real party again. What a dream to dream!!