I had an epiphany a few weeks ago, and it was bolstered a few minutes ago as I put away some clean kiddie cups (more in a moment). Baby’s pediatrician recommended I try feeding her Cream of Wheat (I’ve been having trouble getting her enough milk and carbs) … so I bought a box.
What is Cream of Wheat? Lemme tell you straight – it is 100% just baby cereal in adult packaging, priced normally. So … basically for the second six months of both my girls’ lives I overpaid handily for their teeny containers of Gerber rice and oat cereals.
Cute and tiny baby, cute and tiny packaging, not cute and not tiny price.
It made me think of everything else we parents overpay for. Let me start with today’s haul of cups (and I forgot one!):
Am I running a small cafe or just trying to get my kids to drink more? You decide.
To be fair, I’m trying to get Baby to drink milk out of a – any – cup. She, at nearly 14m, refuses milk out of anything other than her bottle, and she must have it warm (bordering on hot). *Aside, Toddler refused a bottle and went straight to a straw cup at 9m, so I’m at a loss here. Kids, be the same for mommy!*
So what do I think we’re snookered into buying?
- baby cereals
- millions of baby cups – just buy one or two and try it til they use it!
- anything from Buy Buy Baby (I could kick myself for not comparison shopping the first time around!)
- regular batteries…. Is it too late to invest in rechargeables? No!!!
- store-bought baby food pouches (homemade pouches are THE way to go! I spoke of these Choomee pouches before – so worth it!)
- brand-new, full-priced clothes … with the rate these kiddos grow, there is zero sense in not borrowing hand-me-downs (no shame here! we have a big circle of sharing!) or at least catching a sale (15% minimum, but I try for clearance … I wish I were organized enough to buy only end-of-season clearance for the next year’s needs)
- baby blenders … I didn’t fall for this glorified, miniaturized adult blender, thank God
- baby detergent (i.e. Dreft) … With all the big brands making “free and clear” versions now, how is Dreft not out of business??
Do you agree with me? What can you add to the list?
And … am I the only one with nine different kiddie cups??