This past weekend I posted about achieving life goals before having kids, and it ties into thoughts I’ve had recently (no, pretty much over the past nearly-four years since I became a mom) about my life Before Kids (B.K.) versus After Kids (A.K.).
I know why I can’t get as much done nowadays – we all do. Everything takes so much longer! Nothing is simple. Nothing can be done without interruption.
There is no quick run to the bathroom.
There is no fast bop into a store for one item (can you imagine?!).
There is no efficient way to do anything anymore, thanks to tiny hands interrupting / making messes / grabbing / poking / etc.
I thought it’d be fun to outline a “day in the life” (perhaps in the same vein as my day in the life by the numbers post a few weeks back!) comparing B.K. to A.K. Is this true for you, parents?
Now, before I start let me preface this by saying that my life A.K. has taught me valuable skills like multitasking, patience, extreme strength (omg carrying that mom bag everywhere!), and the ability to get multiple people somewhere on time (most of the time). Life is definitely harder now, though with everything in life, I believe what doesn’t kill me (like, you know, childbirth – holy cow back labor – and seeing my kid cry in pain) makes me stronger.
So … here are some daily highlights:
A day in the life – B.K.:
- Getting dressed and ready: 45 minutes (oh, the leisure time!)
- Putting on clothes: 4 minutes (it’s just me!)
- Eating lunch: 15 minutes
- Bathroom break (solo!): 5 minutes max
- Shopping at Target: 35 minutes
- Grocery shopping: 45 minutes
- Dinner prep: 20 minutes
- House cleanup before bed: 0 minutes (I mean, was I strewing my
toysbooks and computer about?! No.)
A day in the life – A.K.:
- Getting dressed and ready: 15 minutes (hurry up – Baby’s crying on the monitor!)
- Putting on clothes: 14 minutes (on Toddler) or 24 minutes (if she’s wearing tights)
- Eating lunch: 50 minutes
- Bathroom break: 18 minutes (glaciers have melted faster than this, kid)
- Shopping at Target: 45 minutes (what is it about this place that slows down moms?! I guess we just have a longer list, despite being there practically every week.)
- Grocery shopping: 1h15m (I hate this chore more than ever!)
- Dinner prep: 35 minutes (because my kids are always underfoot and Baby whines to be held!)
- House cleanup before bed: 10 minutes (Short, yes, but long compared to 0!)
It’s no wonder less gets done now; the only place I saved time is getting ready in the morning … yet now I spend much longer getting two kids dressed and their teeth brushed, so did I win anything in the end?
Just the chance to do the hair of my two cute little girls! So … win!
How does your day compare B.K. versus A.K.?